• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Thursday, May 25, 2006

    Anne Rice: Depp Should Play Jesus

    I've been meaning to report this story for ages, but never quite got around to it. However, I've been away the last two days at my granny's funeral, so I'm a bit pushed for time, and thought this would be just the sort of short piece that I could squeeze in.

    Author Anne Rice, who wrote Interview with a Vampire thinks Johnny Depp would be the ideal actor to play Jesus. Rice was interviewed by Cathleen Falsani (Chicago Sun Times) for a chapter in her book The God Factor: Inside the Spiritual Lives of Public People, where she interviews 32 celebrities on their views about spirituality.

    Rice is currently trying to develop her novel, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt into a film and revealed that she think Depp would be ideal for the lead role.
    I haven't told Johnny Depp yet, but wouldn't he be perfect?... Strong. Beautiful. Edgy. Soulful eyes. A graceful person but not effeminate. Roguish yet strangely wise. Yes, Depp as Jesus -- I can see it".
    You can read the entire chapter at the Chicago Sun Times website.

    Personally, I'm not sure how well Depp would work. He has great talent, and would bring some interesting things to the role, but he'd also bring association from all his previous work, and his absent father roles, in particular, might not be that appropriate. that said, I'm sure that even so, he would probably turn in a performance worthy of my top ten.

    Labels: , ,

    4 Comments:

    • At 9:19 am, May 26, 2006, Blogger crystal said…

      I like Depp but I can't see him as Jesus. I remember when Rice wanted Rutger Hauer for the vampire ... she was pretty steamed when they chose Cruise instead, but he worked out well. Maybe Colin Farrell would make a good Jesus?

       
    • At 1:50 pm, May 30, 2006, Blogger Matt Page said…

      Well Farrell has a bit of a mixed record in historical pieces. Alexander was awful, whereas his more recent A New World was good, although he was far less convincing that Christian Bale, who has of course already played Jesus in Mary, the Mother of Jesus.

      Matt

       
    • At 7:43 am, June 03, 2006, Blogger RC said…

      That is such a bizarre thought to have Depp...and please no Colin Farrell as Jesus...please!!!

      Depp as Jesus...ummm...I think I'd rather someone with a less recognizable face.

      --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

       
    • At 12:21 am, May 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      i know who can play Jesus, and he lives here in LA !
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamuman/sets/72157604265187156/show/

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home