• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Friday, February 17, 2012

    The Celluloid Madonna

    The Celluloid Madonna: From Scripture to Screen

    Catherine O'Brien

    Paperback: 224 pages

    Publisher: Columbia University Press (13 Dec 2011)

    Language English

    ISBN: 978-0231161654

    It's been a while since there was a new film out on Bible Films so I was really pleased to hear that Catherine O'Brien's "Celluloid Madonna" has finally been published. (I heard about it several years ago, but had lost touch with how things had been progressing.

    I'm incredibly chuffed as well by the fact that this blog is mentioned in the Acknowledgements. This doesn't happen often to me so I hope you won't mind too much if I, rather egocentrically, quote what was written. Page viii says:

    Matt Page's Bible Films Blog at http://www.biblefilms.blogspot.com/ has been discovered as a superb the source of news and film criticism

    I've not had a great deal of time/energy at the moment and so I've made rather poor progress so far. What I can say however is that it talks about a few films that I am yet to see - mainly those that are Mary Hagiopics from primarily Catholic countries as well as a good deal of information about Mary that I was not fully aware of. I'm really hoping to forge some time soon to finish the rest of it off soon and then hopefully I'll be able to review it.

    Labels: ,

    2 Comments:

    • At 11:40 am, March 15, 2012, Blogger Patrick said…

      Not exactly related to the article, but I thought I should just report. The Telugu version of Daya Sagar (Karunamayudu), with English subtitles, is now apparently available on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F07j4sjj6w

       
    • At 11:25 am, April 06, 2012, Blogger Norma said…

      I watched "The redeemer" (1959, 1965) on EWTN this morning and used your 2007 blog entry to fill in the gaps and write my own blog. Thanks! This is my first visit to your site, and it looks very useful.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home