• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Tuesday, January 03, 2023

    When do subtitles start in The Passion of the Christ (2004)?

    Here's a question from the "you asked, I answer" pile: When do subtitles start in The Passion of the Christ (2004)? 

    This really depends on which version you're watching, but there are subtitles in the opening scene where Jesus is in the Garden of Gethsemane. Sometimes people are caught out because the first words Jesus speaks aren't subtitled. So actually the first line which appear in the subtitles is just "Peter".

    This is when (going by the timer/time bar) the various version have this line:

      - UK 1-disc DVD (2004) – 0h 2m 15s

      - Amazon Prime streaming – 0h 2m 22s

    I'll look to add details from more versions if I find them. If you have access to a different version of the film I'd be grateful if you'd email me or drop something in the comments to let me know and I'll update the post.

    Other Posts on The Passion
    Here are some of my other posts about The Passion of the Christ (2004).

      How The Passion of the Christ Wrong-footed Hollywood
      Caiaphas and Jabba the Hutt in Gibson's Passion
      Text and Interpretation in The Passion of the Christ
      The Passion Without Subtitles
      Film: A New Passion (Preview written prior to the film's release in 2004)

      Bible Films Podcast: The Passion of the Christ (2004)
      My original review: The Passion of the Christ (2004)

    Book me or read me
    If you're interested in Jesus films like this then you might enjoy my book "100 Bible Films" which not only covers around 50 Jesus films, but another 50 that cover the rest of the Bible, going right back to the first still-in-existence Jesus film from 1898.

    You can read more about it here: 100 Bible Films.

    I also love to do talks, podcasts etc. If you're interested in having me to speak drop me a line.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home