• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Wednesday, October 31, 2007

    Jesus of Montreal DVD on Offer

    Even though the price of DVDs has dropped dramatically over the last couple of years, rare / foreign films still tend to be fairly pricey. So I'm keen to let readers know whenever there's a bargain.

    Jesus of Montreal is currently on sale at Amazon
    for £6.97, which in turn has driven the marketplace price down to between three and four pounds. That's no consolation to those of you in the US now that there are two dollars in the pound again.

    But this is the enhanced widescreen version, rather than the other, awful, region 2 disc which just looks like someone's copied it from their VHS copy. The only advantage of that DVD is the packaging which is an improvement on this one as pictured above. I believe this is the only widescreen version of this film available, but at the moment I can't be sure.

    Labels: ,

    6 Comments:

    • At 7:21 pm, October 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      You lucky dog! You can now watch the wide-screen version! "Jesus of Montreal" widescreen is still not available for region 1 viewing, even though some UK sites say "all regions." I have sent emails to Criterion to try and get them to release a "critical edition" of this film on widescreen. BTW, Matt, have you still not received a copy of my book?
      Jeff Staley

       
    • At 9:44 pm, October 31, 2007, Blogger Matt Page said…

      Hi Jeff,

      Thanks for your comment. I was going to email you on this just to let you know (as I remember that you were interested), but then I forgot.

      The DVD says it's region 0 although I know that doesn't work with every machine, just nearly all of them, but it's good news.

      A Criterion release of this film would be great though!

      And no, sadly it's still not come. I did exchange emails with the publisher a week or two ago, but it's a UK/US issue.

      Matt

       
    • At 4:57 am, November 01, 2007, Blogger Peter T Chattaway said…

      I see that the cover calls this DVD a "special edition" of the film. Do you know what that means? Does it have bonus features of any sort?

       
    • At 8:58 am, November 01, 2007, Blogger Matt Page said…

      Hi Peter,

      "Special Edition" is over egging it a bit. There's a half hour interview with Denys Arcand, which I've not had time to watch yet, but nothing else. Like Jeff says, it would be great if it got the Criterion Treatment. In the meantime though, this is pretty good.

      Matt

       
    • At 11:18 pm, November 02, 2007, Blogger brotherjosephus said…

      I have a copy of the original "VHS-copy" DVD. Does this widescreen edition have better picture quality (digital restoration etc.)

      I didn't think the original looked too bad though.

      Joe

       
    • At 8:46 am, November 09, 2007, Blogger Matt Page said…

      Hi Joe,

      I no longer have the VHS quality version (that went straight back), so unfortunately I don't have the two to compare side by side. That said, I do remember that my heart sank when I put it on, not only because it isn't widescreen (and some would argue that's reason enough), but also because the picture doesn't look so great.

      From recollection, this version is a definite improvement, but I wouldn't want to say it's such an improvement that you should go and buy this other version. And I can't be sure, so if anyone else can independently verify this I'd be much obliged.

      Matt

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home