• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Monday, February 13, 2006

    Faith and Film Critics' Circle - Best of 2005 Awards

    I'm part of the Faith and Film Critics' Circle. One of the things we do is give out our own awards, including one for "Most Significant Exploration of Spiritual Issues". The results of this years winners were announced at the end of last week, but I was too busy to post them then, but, if you've not seen them already here they are:
    Most Significant Exploration of Spiritual Issues - Millions
    Best Narrative Film - Millions
    Best Documentary - Born Into Brothels
    Best Actor - Capote, Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    Best Actress - Walk The Line, Reese Witherspoon
    Best Child Actor/Actress - Millions, Alexander Nathan Etel
    Best Supporting Actor - Cinderella Man, Paul Giamatti
    Best Supporting Actress - A History of Violence, Maria Bello
    Best Ensemble Cast - A History of Violence
    Best Original Screenplay - Millions (tie)
    Best Adapted Screenplay - Munich
    Best Cinematography - March of the Penguins
    Best Director - David Cronenberg, A History of Violence
    Best Original Score - Munich, John Williams
    Best Film For the Whole Family - Millions
    You can see the other nominees, read about the voting procedure from the official page.

    Personally I'm a bit disappointed. I wasn't impressed by Millions, which won 8 awards. I just don't see what the other critics see in it. The only thing I can think is that it's just one of those films which works better on the other side of the Atlantic (which is strange as it's a British made film). The other major disappointments for me were that Sin City (my review) didn't win best cinematography (or even come close), and that Dear Wendy (my review) lost out to Munich for best score. But you have to take the rough with the smooth with all these things. Last year I was really pleased that Dogville (my review) won the "most spiritual" award ahead of The Passion of the Christ (even though for most years I would have been please for The Passion to win). What's more, it's a tremendous privilege working with these guys.

    The final list also leaves me kicking myself that I didn't see A History of Violence, and that I never got the chance to see Born into Brothels, and hotly anticipating Capote. I've always appreciated Philip Seymour Hoffman's work, and I really hope he finally gets the Oscar he deserves next month.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home