• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.

    100 Bible FIlms book cover featuring Russell Crowe as Noah from the 2014 film Facebook logo    Twitter logo   BlueSky logo  

    A picture of me from a few years back a white man with blond hair and a short red beard
    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.

    Ecoadaptations book cover
    FIlm aas an expression of spirituality book cover
    Movies From the Mountaintop book cover
    100 Bible Films book cover
    T&T Clark Handbook of Jesus and Film book cover
    the bible onscreen in new millennium book cover
    T&T Clark COmpanion to the Bible on Film book cover
    The Bible in Motion book cover
    Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception book cover
    Screengrab from The Passion:Religion and the Movies
    Screengrab from The Passion:Films, Faith and Fury

    Saturday, October 03, 2026

    Book review for the "Journal of Religion & Film"

    I have been reading the online, open access "Journal of Religion & Film" since the late 1990s, when it (and the internet in general) was still very young. Back then, to someone without any university library access it was an absolute godsend. I remember printing-off some of the articles to read on my work breaks. I'm so grateful that it exists and has continued to thrive and remain open to all.

    For some reason, though, I have never really seriously investigated publishing anything with them, at least not until earlier in the year when I was approached to write a book review for a book on the Bible and Film. Having already given an endorsement for the work in question, it seemed like a conflict of interests, so instead the books editor and I decided I would review the BFI's re-issue of Sue Vice's introduction work on the documentary film Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985).
    I have been investigating antisemitism quite a lot over the last 18 months or so, so it seemed like a good opportunity to revisit the film in a bit more detail. Vice's book is a great exploration of the film, not so over-awed by size of the subject to examine the filmmaking style, techniques and issues that make it such a monumental work.

    Anyway, I'm waffling. There's much less waffling in my actual review of the book, which you can read here (even if you don't have institutional library access).

    Labels: ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home