• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Monday, January 12, 2009

    New Version of Johnny Got his Gun

    I watched Junebug again last night and appreciated it even more than I had first time I watched it. This time around I was particularly struck by the performance of Ben McKenzie as Johnny. So I looked him up on the IMDB and noticed that he recently worked on a new version of Johnny Got his Gun.

    From the official website it seems that this is effectively a one man show filmed and released as a movie, and it looks like a DVD will be released around April. I've never read the book, but I watched and reviewed the 1971 film adaptation about a year ago. That version of the story featured a couple of scenes with an imaginary Jesus, but was also a fairly loose adaptation of the book (despite being directed by the novel's author Dalton Trumbo). The new version claims that about 99% of it is taken from the novel, so, at the very least, it's likely that it will contain the scene with Mary, Joseph and Jesus. I didn't manage to find the scene where Jesus plays cards with a group of soldiers in this set of crib notes on the book, so I guess they were added for the film. That said the shot above perhaps suggests that something about Jesus will fit in somewhere.

    Labels:

    1 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home